Mental health is a term that is so commonly used, but is rarely ever defined. It includes our entire emotional, psychological and social selves. Our mental health influences how we feel, think and behave. It also affects the was we cope with stress, understand others and make decisions. Mental health is imperative at all stages of our lives, from when we were kids til adulthood.
Throughout the course of your life, mental health issues may have contributed to how you thought, your mood and could have caused some problems. There are countless factors that contribute to mental health problems, such as:
- Biological factors like your genetics and brain chemistry
- Life experiences like trauma or abuse
- Family history of mental health
Although mental health issues are common, the good news is that help is readily available. Many people with mental health problems can get better and some could even heal entirely.
So what are some warning signs?
Perhaps you aren’t sure if someone you love is struggling with mental health concerns. Experiencing one or more of the following symptoms or behaviors could be a warning sign:
- Anhedonia or lack of pleasure from activities that used to make them feel happy
- Eating way too much or little
- Sleeping way too much or little
- Feeling numb
- Unexplained aches and pains that doctors would call psychosomatic symptoms
- Feelings of helplessness or hoplessness
- Smoking, drinking, shopping, gambling or getting high as a means of escaping problems
- Feeling absentminded, confused, worried or angry
- Intense mood swings
- Yelling or arguing with loves ones
- Persistent memories or thoughts you can’t get out your head
- Hearing voices or believing things that are not true
- Considering harming yourself or someone else
- Struggling to do day to day tasks
What about mental health & wellness?
Someone who is on their mental health journey and implements changes in their life can overcome many obstacles and past issues. Those that have positive mental health & wellness are characterized by the following traits:
- They are self-actualized and reach their full potential
- Successfully cope with life
- More productive at work
- Contribute to their loved ones and even communities
How could I maintain mental wellness once I get there?
This is something you and your therapist would decide collaboratively, as this looks different for every person. Some general ways of maintaining mental wellness include:
- Thinking positively
- Helping others
- Getting proper sleep
- Building and using coping skills
- Seeking out and maintaining professional help
About Makin Wellness
Founded in 2017 , Makin Wellness is therapy and coaching center located at 239 Fourth Avenue, Suite 1801 Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15222. The company’s mission is to help people heal and become happy again. Makin Wellness specializes in depression, anxiety, addiction and relationship counseling .