Are you and your partner feeling disconnected lately? Do you need help communicating effectively or planning a positive future together? It can be daunting to think that there’s nowhere to turn for help, but online couples therapy is a powerful tool in helping you build a stronger relationship. Due to the modern age of technology, there’s no longer any need to book an appointment at the therapist’s office – online couples therapy offers the same level of support from home!
Keep reading this blog post to learn more about couples therapy, or schedule a couples therapy session with a Makin Wellness therapist if you’re interested in taking the first step towards fostering a bond with your significant other that will last.
What Is Couples Therapy?
Couples therapy is a type of psychotherapy that helps couples work through the issues within their relationship. It often focuses on improving communication, understanding each other’s feelings and perspectives, learning how to resolve conflicts in a healthy way, and creating shared goals for the future. The therapist acts as an impartial third party who facilitates discussion between the couple while helping them take meaningful steps towards bettering their relationship.
Couples therapy can also be used for premarital counseling. Premarital counseling focuses on helping couples prepare for marriage and identify any potential problems they may encounter down the line. It can even be used when one or both parties are considering divorce, as it provides a space to consider all options before making a final decision.
Couples can go to therapy together for many reasons, including:
- Learning how to express feelings in a healthy way
- Discussing areas of conflict and learning how to resolve them
- Improving communication and understanding between partners
- Building trust and mutual respect
- Working on personal issues that are impacting the relationship
- Creating common goals for the future
Another use for couples therapy is addressing more significant issues such as infidelity, addiction, abuse, or other complex topics such as financial problems, parenting disagreements, and more. The therapist is trained to help the couple work through these issues in a productive way and cultivate a happier, healthier relationship.
How Does Online Couples Therapy Work?
Online couples therapy works similarly to traditional in-person therapy sessions except that they take place online via phone or video call. This allows couples to take advantage of the convenience and comfort of discussing their relationship from the safety of their own home. In addition, many online therapists use a platform that enables couples to communicate with the therapist and complete interactive activities or homework between sessions – this helps ensure that progress is being made even when they aren’t together.
This homework could look like taking turns completing a questionnaire about the relationship, engaging in meaningful conversations about goals for the future, or having regular check-ins about how each partner is feeling.
Benefits of Online Couples Therapy
The most significant advantage of online couples therapy is the convenience – you can access it anywhere in the world at any time that fits your schedule. You’re also guaranteed privacy in both in-person and online therapy- no one else will know what’s happening in your sessions unless you tell them.
Other benefits include:
- Increased flexibility in scheduling
- Easier access to different therapists or specialized services
- The ability to review notes and takeaways between sessions
- The comfort of being in your own home
- The ability to resume sessions after taking a break from them.
Before beginning online couples therapy, it’s essential to make sure that both partners are comfortable with the idea. Open communication and a willingness to commit to the process are critical.
Considerations Before Starting Online Couples Therapy
Although couples therapy online has many benefits, there are a few things to consider before starting. First, it can be difficult for some couples to open up when they’re not face-to-face with their therapist. You may also need additional resources from time to time that you wouldn’t have access to during online sessions (such as joint exercises). Make sure the therapist you’re working with can provide these services.
Other considerations include the following:
- Being comfortable with the platform you’re using- this is especially important if you’re using video calls
- Making sure both partners are willing to commit to therapy and follow through with the tasks outlined by the therapist
- Being prepared to discuss difficult topics and potentially bring up uncomfortable feelings
- Keeping the sessions confidential and not sharing the content with anyone else
Finally, it’s important to remember that both online and in-person couples therapy is not a “quick fix.” You and your partner might be hoping that a few sessions of couples therapy will fix problems you are experiencing in your relationship, but it takes commitment and effort from both parties to make progress and ensure long-term success. With the proper support, couples can work through their issues and create a stronger, healthier relationship.
Steps to Take Before Each Couples Therapy Session
- Before therapy sessions, ensure your internet connection and audio/video equipment are working correctly. Set up a quiet, distraction-free space for each session.
- Make sure to discuss your expectations and goals with your partner by having an open discussion about what you hope to get out of couples therapy. Express why you think it is important and what you hope to work on, and be sure to listen as your partner does the same. This way, you can ensure that both partners are on the same page and that all voices are heard.
- Set a plan: Talk with your therapist about how often you would like to meet, how long the sessions should last, and which topics you would like to talk about.
- Come prepared: Think about any topics or issues you would like to discuss in the session and write them down ahead of time. That way, you can make the most of your session time.
- Follow through: It’s essential to take the advice given during couples therapy and implement it in your daily life. Follow through with any tasks or exercises the therapist gives you to do together outside of session time.
Before each session, take a few minutes to review your notes from the previous session and any other instructions or resources given by the therapist. This will help you stay focused and on track during the session.
How To Choose The Right Online Couples Therapist
When searching for an online couples therapist, it’s important to do your research. Here are some tips:
- Check credentials & specialties: Make sure your potential therapist is licensed and has experience treating couples.
- Look for reviews: Read what other couples have to say about their experience with the therapist.
- Schedule a consultation: Have a conversation with the therapist to ensure you both feel comfortable working together.
- Clarify expectations: Ask questions about the therapy process and what will be expected of you.
- Check the cost: Ensure you understand the costs involved and if your insurance will cover them.
Makin Wellness is Here to Help
Ultimately, online couples therapy can be an excellent option for couples who want to strengthen their relationship but find it challenging to meet in person. It offers the same support and guidance as traditional couples therapy but with the added convenience of connecting from anywhere. With the right commitment and dedication, any couple can benefit from online couples therapy and foster a healthier, happier relationship.
At Makin Wellness, we understand the unique challenges of couples therapy and offer experienced therapists that use an interactive platform to help you reach your goals. We also prioritize comfort, confidentiality, and convenience – so you can feel safe and supported as you work through your issues.
Ready to get started? Contact us today for more information about our online couples therapy services. We look forward to helping you and your partner work on strengthening your relationship and ultimately create a healthier, stronger connection. Call us today or contact us through our website.